It's spring and so, according to Kathy Faulks - Small Groups Development Worker at VAL, it's time to nurture new growth in your charity!
It is spring and the time is here for gardeners to nurture new growth, and isn’t it the same with trustee boards too? There is a wonderful publication called “Tending your Board” and this takes a seasonal approach to improving the way trustee boards work. It really is a delight to read - especially if you are a gardener!
This is what the guide recommends for spring:
- Have your Away Day with lots of food, fun and rewards!
- Look at your board numbers and make sure the number is appropriate for the size of your organisation
- Be clear about added value
- Review your delegated sub committees - do you need them all?
And here is what I recommend for spring!
- Really get to grips with the Doing Good Leeds website. There is an awful lot in there and are you signed up for everything that would benefit your organisation?
- Make a list of the training needs of your trustees and then check out VAL training courses
- Check that all your policies and procedures are up to date.
- Link up with a similar charity board and compare notes (obviously you would not be sharing anything confidential!)
- Register with Funding Central for your funding needs
- Follow @kathyfaulks on Twitter for up to date information on the voluntary sector - locally, regionally and nationally.
- Have some fun with other charities in your neighbourhood!