So long, farewell, auf weidersehen, good-bye...

Jane Robinson, Voluntary Action Leeds' Communication Manager for the last fourteen years moves onto pastures new today.

14 years of VAL

When I started working at Voluntary Action Leeds (VAL) in January 2000, I never dreamed I would still be here fourteen and a half years later! To that point I had never been in the same job for more than two years. To be honest, since the age of 18 I'd barely lived in the same city for more than two years!

Times they are a-changin'

Communication has changed so much in that time - ten, 16 page hard copy newsletters a year was my main responsibility in 2000. My bread and butter was to be 'out and about' interviewing groups across Leeds, scanning all the hard copy newsletters and journals for local and national news and sourcing loose inserts promoting new events and jobs.

In 2014, VAL produces very little hard copy information and relies almost solely on web and social media to inform us of what's going on which I love. Developing relationships and interacting through twitter and Facebook is lots of fun! Is that what work is supposed to be?

Moving on up

But now it is time to move on - I have new fish to fry - initially in the form of a Masters in Social and Cultural History at Leeds University. I'm continuing to work part time at Cross Gates and District Good Neighbours' Scheme and will be looking for new challenges in the sector I'm sure.

A big thank you to everybody I've worked with at VAL and in the sector over the last decade and a half. I've never stopped learning and I hope I never will. The photo above was very kindly taken by my colleague Dave, who secretly lined up the 95 newsletters I've edited over my years at VAL - shout out if you recognise yourself!

If you'd like to follow me on twitter you can at @janerobinso

Comments (9)

1. Rachel:
    Aug 07, 2014 at 02:17 PM

I had the beautiful pleasure of working with you Jane, such fun xx. During our short time together I learnt a lot from you and I am so grateful. I still to this day use mail chimp ... much to my annoyance...arrghhhh!!! All the best with the new pastures ahead xx

2. Jane:
    Aug 07, 2014 at 02:28 PM

Thanks Rachel, fun working with you too x x x

3. Sarah Freeman:
    Aug 07, 2014 at 07:55 PM

All the best in your new venture. Youve been a great asset to VA-L over the years. I'm glad you didn't become part of the furniture. I'm sure many new doors will open for you. Good luck x

4. Jane Richardson:
    Aug 07, 2014 at 09:55 PM

Good luck Jane so pleased for you!

5. David Smith:
    Aug 08, 2014 at 10:15 AM

What an amazing photo! is that really all the newsletters you have produced?

I've enjoyed getting to know you as a work colleague. The MA sounds very interesting. Keep blogging here and keep us all in the loop!

6. Jane:
    Aug 09, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Thank you for the lovely comments. Yep David, 95 newsletters :)

7. kathy faulks:
    Aug 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Missing you so much already Jane. It has been fantastic to work with you and learn from you and share books with you.

8. pip goff:
    Aug 11, 2014 at 08:57 PM

Wow - so much information shared in those newsletters and then the fantastic work developing doinggoodleeds! (thought at first glance the pic was piles of money - if only!) will really miss you and your generous help and support over the years
    Pipx

9. Jane:
    Aug 12, 2014 at 04:48 PM

I wish it was loads of money Pip! Fear not, I'm sure our paths will cross - and Kathy - I will still be using you like a lending library ;)