The E-News is sent out twice a month. Read the latest issue
15 June 2015
The academy summarises a recent speech made by the Chair of the Charity Commission.William Shawcross spoke at a Rathbones event on the 10 June 2015 about Charity Commission priorities in the years ahead.The issues he highlighted were:
- He supports the wholesale review of the Code of Fundraising Practice. Indeed, he believes that fundraising is a crisis for the charity sector. Sir Stephen Bubb who is the head of the charity chief executives body ACEVO does not share this view. "This is very disappointing. I would expect the charity regulator to rise above the noise of the tabloids and make the public case for charities' work."
- William Shawcross welcomed the stronger legal powers as set out in the Charities (Protection and Social Investment ) Bill. However, it should be pointed out that there are reservations in some quarters about the extent of powers that the Charity Commission will hold and the weakness of the appeal system.
- The Charity Commission aims to improve its risk assessment and thus focus limited resources where they make the biggest difference.
- Continued emphasis on online guidance for trustees.
- Planned use of social media
- Trial of professional checking of online applications pre-charity registration.
- Finally, the Charity Commission will be looking into new sources of funding "including funding in whole or in part by charities themselves".