Management committee members, staff and volunteers may all need to claim expenses and proper procedures need to be in place.
Some good practices for expenses are:
- Produce written guidance as to what can be claimed, at what rate and within what area
- An expenses form should be devised for claiming expenses
- Expense claims should be backed up by bills or receipts
- Reimbursement should be a straight payment of actual costs rather than rounded up
- Expenses should be claimed regularly e.g Monthly
- An appropriate person should check the expenses carefully and authorise them as reasonable and necessary
For more help with expenses policy
A range of services provided by WYCAS (West Yorkshire Community Accounting Service) are available to help your organisation with setting its expenses policy including Expenses: A Good Practice Guide. To find out more contact WYCAS.