About School for Social Entrepreneurs
The School for Social Entrepreneurs uses action learning based programmes to support personal and organisational development. Their mission is to address inequalities and social exclusion by supporting social entrepreneurs from all backgrounds to transform their talent into real social outcomes, in the form of sustainable solutions to poverty and disadvantage in communities.
- Action learning programmes -12 month programme how to start up a social enterprise ‘we will take your idea and make it a reality’
- Short 1 - 3 day programmes
- Measuring social impact
- How to access social finance
- Trading for sustainability
- Writing successful bids
- Unlocking social finance
- Action Learning Facilitator training
- Social franchising
- Kickstart your social media strategy
- Consultancy - Working with individuals/organisations to support their specific needs
- Networking - Monthly networking events for anyone interested in social enterprise/social entrepreneurship
Expertise and Experience
The SSE network has worked with more than 1200 social entrepreneurs on their journey to start up and scale up their social enterprises. The SSE deliver programmes in 18 locations and 70% of our students work in 20% of the most disadvantaged areas of the UK. SSE student’s organisations are 20% more likely to succeed for 5 years than a traditional UK business. Locally we have supported more than 100 individuals to start up social enterprises.
90% of our students say they have had a wider impact beyond their community, ranging from raising awareness to influencing government policy.
The SSE work out of a variety of locations across Leeds and beyond. Our core programmes are run at Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, Leeds. We will provide training at a suitable location.
About Adrian Ashton
Adrian Ashton is a nationally recognised, approved and accredited provider of advice, consultancy, training and research to social enterprises, charities, sector bodies and other organisations.
He works across various fields, is a published commentator on policy and sector issues, he annually publishes a social impact report on the services he offers and delivers.
- Business planning
- Feasibility studies
- Financial planning
- Social media
- Developing enterprise activities/services
- Facilitating partnerships and collaborative working
- Leadership and managing change within an organisations’ activities and culture
- Governance (including legal structures)
- Demonstrating and reporting impact
- Commissioning and contracting
Support is delivered through a variety of means:
- Individual coaching
- Group planning
- In person/email/phone
Expertise and Experience
Adrian is an approved and accredited provider of advice, consultancy, training and research to social enterprises, charities, sector bodies and other organisations.
With recognised skills in respect of:
- Working with disadvantaged groups (e.g. People with disabilities, ex-offenders)
- Project management
- Raising finance / Income generation
- Networking and brokering additional support to groups
Adrian will readily signpost organisations to relevant additional support and encouragement.
He is holds an enhanced DBS clearance, and enjoys cycling and cake.
Throughout West Yorkshire and also ‘out of hours’ including early evenings and weekends as necessary to suit you.
About Know and Do Ltd
Know and Do helps organisations manage their response to change. Their approach is to listen, learn and support, using a clear values driven focus to achieve positive outcomes for clients.
Through their core services of performance coaching, management training and facilitation, they enable organisations to make best use of their existing resources.
Know+Do provide a range of high quality management training, facilitation and business coaching services. Common issues they support enable practical change in leading and managing organisations; this includes:
- Difficult conversations made easier
- Growing a business
- How to negotiate well
- Inspiring enterprising leaders
- Introduction to coaching
- Managing change
- Motivating staff
- Networking skills
- Recruiting staff well
- Sales planning
- Strategic market reviews
They can Tailor services to meet client needs eg:
- In-house training
- Conference / event presentations
- Remote support, e.g. phone, email, webinars, Skype
Experience and Expertise
Know+Do work with over 100 organisations each year; the majority of which are charities, social enterprises or public agencies from diverse locations and causes (i.e. health, sport, counselling, childcare, community development, infrastructure, advice, etc) and communities (i.e. young people, disability, BME, women). All services are delivered through two founding staff and a core team of skilled associates.
In the past year Know+Do has also become:
- A preferred supplier for BIG Assist grants
- An approved consultant and business coach for ACEVO members
- A provider of business innovation coaching and leadership training through the national Growth Accelerator Programme
Know+Do’s team has influenced national government policy and delivered large-scale projects. They are highly qualified and experienced at leading organisations involving staff, volunteers and stakeholders. They excel at:
- Strategic development
- Effective operations
- Motivating and empowering
- Creating clarity from complexity
- Social entrepreneurship
Know+Do can provide services in the following areas:
- Greater Manchester
Average rating: 92%
(from 7 responses)
About SEE Ahead
SEE Ahead is a social enterprise that provides expert business advice, training and mentoring to voluntary and community groups, charities and social enterprises to enable them to become more sustainable and less grant dependant. The organisation was setup in 2011 by three former Business Link Social Enterprise Advisers.
As a social enterprise SEE Ahead is not driven by profit, but is mainly a paid-for service. 30 minutes of free telephone support, is offered to help organisations who are unable to pay.
Services offered include:
- One to one advice – tailored support to individuals and groups
- Workshop delivery – interactive sessions on topics including: Access to Finance, An introduction to Social Enterprise, Business Planning, Legal Structures and Governance, Marketing, Measuring Social Impact, Strategic Planning
- Consultancy work e.g. business planning, feasibility studies
- Visioning and strategic planning sessions – with boards of trustees/directors/volunteers
- Staff development/away days e.g. looking at how to generate income to become sustainable
- Mentoring and coaching – a critical friend to CEOs/managers of social enterprises/organisations/charities
Expertise and Experience
All three directors have over 10 years’ experience in providing business support and training to the social enterprise sector.
Examples of work include:
- Delivery of Leeds City Council’s Adult Social Care contract 2013-15 in partnership with Leeds Community Foundation
- Staff away day facilitation
- Contract with national organisation to deliver one to one business support to long term unemployed in Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, St Helens, Preston and Southport
- Delivering workshops for Leeds, Bradford, York and Huddersfield Universities, Bradford CVS, Voluntary Action Leeds, KIVCA, North Bank Forum, Voluntary Action Calderdale, SEYH and Bradford Chamber
- Mentoring CEOs at seven social enterprises
The directors are SFEDI (Small Firms Enterprise Development Initiative) accredited business advisers with social enterprise specialism, qualified to Level 4 in PTTLS and have business coaching qualifications.
Helen Hoyle | Business and financial planning
Rupert Shires | Strategic planning and marketing
Louanne Roberts | Health & Social Care and setting up social enterprises
Across the North of England, but predominately in West Yorkshire.