Founded in Bristol in 2014, ACORN is a mass membership organisation and network of low-income people organising for a fairer deal for our communities. We are now seeking a Community Organiser in Leeds.
- To build, support and develop ACORN as a broad based community organisation consisting of Members, Volunteers and trained Leaders organised in branches in low and moderate income communities, and;
- To increase their capacity to act together on community, social, political and economic issues for the common good.
- To recruit individual ACORN Members through door knocking, social media and other means.
- To manage organising drives to build new and maintain existing ACORN branches, groups, teams.
- To identifying issues of common concern at the neighbourhood and wider level;
- To identify and support new leaders to enable them to take on leadership roles in the organisation.
- To support elected leaders to enable them to carry out their roles.
- To maintain relationships with funders and aid in other income generation
- To write public communications (including email blasts and blog posts to support the work and record, keep secure, and make use of data)
- To keep informed and well briefed on relevant local and national political, social and economic developments
- To represent ACORN cogently and coherently in writing and verbally
- To broker opportunities for the organisation and its leaders to develop positive partnerships and agreements with other organisations and stakeholders
- To handle own administration efficiently and develop administrative systems which ensure the smooth running of ACORN
As a Community Organiser with ACORN, you will be responsible for recruiting, supporting and working with members to take action on issues affecting them and the communities they come from.
ACORN is a union in the community. Like any union our members pay membership dues so that they can have a sustainable independent organisation to fight for their interests.