Leeds Wood Recycling are recruiting!
We are a social enterprise working with volunteers who have been marginalised from the job market working to divert wood waste from landfill, promoting reuse, and community support. We are looking for someone to be a part of the team and embrace our ethos of saving resources and helping those in our community, by empowering people to gain skills and employment experience.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a crucial role, supporting LWR with the day to day running as well as helping sustain, develop and assist the project to grow!
We are a small team and are looking for a motivated, friendly individual to work as our financial administrator officer.
The business has many strands. We run a ‘Timber Collection Service’, and a reclaimed ‘Timber Shop’, alongside offering inhouse and remote training and product building. All of which requires staff and volunteers so the job involves working with volunteer expenses as well as payroll.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the accounts of the organisation, payroll, bookkeeping, reporting (such as discretionary and grant funding) and working as a company secretary. They will be responsible for maintaining accurate financial records for tax-related purposesand making all quarterly and annual returns and submissions to HMRC, Companies House, etc..
We are looking for someone who is flexible and happy to help with the administrative factors involved in running the business..Job Description breakdown – Timings are a approximate guide
Data Entry/Bookkeeping – 13 hr/week
- entering all purchases, expense claims, refunds, etc into QBO across all accounts. Finding and keeping receipts/invoices in order and cross-referenced.
- Identifying and entering remittances and other income.
- Credit control.
- Importing sales data and card processing fees
- recording all transfers of cash between cash, bank and merchant accounts
- counting petty cash & safe cash, and reconciling all accounts weekly
- monitoring, correcting & adapting filing/naming/referencing protocols
- using correct VAT codes and understanding accounting implications of different purchase categories.
- Being aware of how income & spending relates to restricted funds (eg grant funding) and allocating transactions correctly.
- Working with other staff to ensure till system is properly understood and that errors and anomalies are cleared up quickly.
- Properly accounting for loans, gift vouchers, pre-payments, etc.
- Using and improving management/communication tools for the role (eg trello) so that multiple people can work on finance and volunteering can be accommodated.
Reporting – 3-5 hours /month
- Producing management accounts monthly for directors
- Reporting management accounts to NCWRP, including volume of timber diverted from waste
- Submitting quarterly VAT return
- Monitoring grant spending and producing budget reports for funders
- Annual stock-take and providing information to accountants for preparation of annual accounts
Company Secretary – 3 hours /year assuming no hitches.
- Filing annual Confirmation Statement
- updating Company Information on Companies House website (eg director changes)
- ensuring Corporation Tax Return is filed
- paying Corporation Tax
- Filing annual accounts
Finance Officer – 12 hours /month
- Ensuring financial systems are working, everyone knows how to use them.
- Researching, trialling and transitioning to new systems as necessary
- Creating and updating of how-to guide for financial systems and maintaining its accessibility.
- Maintaining passwords securely.
- Producing cashflow predictions and scenario plans as required.
- Keeping abreast of changes in legislation, rates & criteria around tax and accounting standards.
- Working with the accountants during annual accounts preparation.
- Ensure that emails to email@example.com are dealt with.
- Training volunteers and new finance staff
- Ensuring financial systems/practices are secure, keeping abreast of financial and digital security issues in the wider world.
Personnel (finance only) – 3-6 hours /month
Administration support as the position develops upto 4 hours p/w
- Maintaining employment records (contracts, holiday & sick records, wage info) securely
- Reporting monthly worked hours to Payroll agency and transferring wage money by deadline.
- Ensuring new employees have contracts and are set up with VAL (including pension enrolment)
- Keeping abreast of employer responsibilities, national wage levels, tax thresholds & rates, etc.
Experience / Skills Essential
- Answering phone calls and email enquiries for waste wood collections
- Helping grow our collections networks
- Creating Impact reports to our customers
- Work Experience in a similar role
- Knowledge of Accounting Principles in an administrative capacity
- Experience with budgets, invoice preparation and maintenance
- Experience of Accounting Software
- providing administrative support in a busy and dynamic environment.
- organising meetings and taking minutes.
- Excellent Problem Solving
- Data Entry Skills,
- Information Analysis and Organisation,
- Good level of numeracy, accuracy and attention to detail in preparing and entering financial and payroll information.
- IT literate including Microsoft Word, MS Excel and experience of databases, financial spreadsheets and monitoring systems.
- Interpersonal and Customer Service Skills
- GCSE Maths & English
- Approachable and able to work with a diverse range of people
- A qualification in Business Administration or Accounting
- Knowledge of Quick-books, especially Quick-books Online
- Experience of Point of Sale software, card payment systems and digital integration between systems.
- Knowledge of Regulatory Requirements and Tax Regimes
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Understanding of company's financial structures, policies and systems.
- Experience of Team working software, especially Trello